Saturday, January 21, 2006

A victim of identity theft - Day 10

Much has happened since my last post....

The weather is absolutely crazy! One day it's 10º Celsius outside, the next day it's -10º. It just doesn't make sense. This month has been unusually warm. We never get warm days in January! Today, we woke up to pouring rain. Then it started snowing my midday...now we've got about 5 to 10 cm of snow outside. I really don't mind if February is warm like this... it'll be a first!

We found out this week that my wife was the victim of identity theft. The bank called and said that a credit card account was opened in her name, and the card was shipped to western Canada. We were able to move quick on it... blocked all credit card accounts, called the bank regarding the bank accounts. We filed a police report today... seems like the police and the customer service agent at the bank are both unsure as to how to proceed with identity theft. Sounds stupid, since it's such a large problem in today's society. You'd think the banks would be on top of it...at least know what to tell the end-user (the client). Now because of some person walking around in western Canada (trying to pass off as my wife), she's got to change all her accounts (credit cards, bank accounts, social insurance number, driver's license. Thanks..whoever you are... we really needed this like a hole in the head!

Apart from this new development, we got my father's car started, finally! I can't take credit for this, it was my brother-in-law who got the task done, mostly because he wanted the driveway cleaned of the snow/ice, and the car was in the way! Anyhow, it starts up fine and I took it for a short drive to the Provi-Soir to pick up some bread.

No comments: